Death toll from Paeng rises to 121; affected individuals now over 3 million
MANILA, Philippines — The reported death toll left by Tropical Storm Paeng (international name: Nalgae) climbed to 121 on Wednesday, said the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
According to NDRRMC in its latest situation report, of these total deaths, 92 have already been verified while the remaining 29 are still up for validation.
Meanwhile, the number of injuries remained at 103, while 33 individuals remain missing.
These casualties were reported in the regions of Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Bicol, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Western Visayas, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Soccsksargen, Bangsamoro Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao or Barmm, and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
The total number of affected individuals, on the other hand, also further rose, breaching the three-million mark at 3,180,132 or a total of 927,822 families in 7,341 barangays.
As of November 2, NDRRMC said 59,698 families or 176,337 individuals — are still inside evacuation centers, while 277,825 families or 692,941 individuals are outside these centers.
The estimated damage to agriculture is currently at P1,278,940,052 translating to total production loss of 59,552 metric tons in agricultural products, while damage to infrastructure jumped to P3,425,666,061.73.
The number of bridges and roads still not passable due to the storm are at 96 and 225, respectively, while the number of houses damaged by Paeng are at 11,294 with a cost of damage of P12,761,000.
So far, 164 cities and municipalities have already declared a state of calamity.